Supported Independent Living (SIL)
What is Supported Independent Living?
SIL is best suited for participants who have high support needs, and require a significant amount of assistance throughout the day.
Can I get funding for Supported Independent Living?
- your individual circumstances and needs
- your age (The NDIS funds SIL for people aged 18 and over)
- your goals and preferences
- your independence, living skills and capacity-building needs
- if modifications to your home or assistive technology may increase your independence
SUPPORTED INDEPENDENT LIVING ACCOMMODATION
Home and Living Options
INDEPENDENT LIVING OPTIONS
What are Individualised Living Options (ILOs) ?
An example of this is a person with a disability shares their home with a supportive housemate. The housemate provides support at agreed times, and pays less rent. By doing this, the person with a disability is supported and allows you to work out of a system that is right for you, rather than having to 'fit in' to an existing model. ILOs don’t mean that a person suddenly needs less support. They are about creating different supportive relationships than paid staff working a roster of care.